I don’t know why, I just always get the urge to blog every time when I have a test or exam the next day. It’s mind-distracting.
The draft for this post was written last December but I was quite reluctant to finish it. I guess there’s a lots to write about that’s why I kept delaying.
To get an insight of what interbatch competition is all about, read my previous post here: http://www.crybabylair.blogspot.com/2011/02/interbatch.html
It was a fierce competition this time round. There were more participations than last year although batch 28 withdrew from most of the events (due to their 3rd block examinations). I shall only be blogging from BDS peeps point of view.
Both BDS Batch 2 and 3 combined to form a team. Although we are one small batch of people, we did try to join every single event.
For sports, we sent out teams for basketball (both men and women), net ball, futsal, badminton and Carom. The men’s basketball was really a close game. They won 2 games out of 5 and they lost the last match by a mere 2 points. The women’s basketball and net ball did try their best to break the zero in each game. As for futsal, they managed to get 2nd runner up. There were two teams for badminton. However, luck wasn’t on our side as both team meet up with the champion and 1st runner up in the knock out match. I have no idea what happen to carom though. I feel everyone on the sport teams should deserve a big round of applause. *clap, clap ,clap*
Cultural side consists of theatre, general knowledge (general quiz & pot puri), speaking, art, dance and music (which includes instrumental and vocal). I don’t think anyone join the Theatre (eg. Mimicry, street play) and speaking (extempore & debate) events. For pot puri, we sent out 2 teams and our junior team won 3rd place. The art side was taken cared by Chen Wei. She participated in painting and clay modelling. She won 1st for painting. Once again, *applause*
From here on, I shall be bias to the events that I joined, writing a little more detail about them (have to jot them down for memory sake). I helped out in the dance and the music events.
Let’s talk about the dance first. We sent out one team for Western dancing. I have already written the whole story in the previous post. Probably I’ll just add in some details. Out of the 3 team contesting that day, we were the 1st to perform. At the very last minute before going on stage, one of our wooden fans went missing and we were all in a super panic mode. Someone compromise by using the unpainted wooden fan. Next disaster was my skirt gradually unwrapped and fell during the 1st dance. Luckily I was standing behind and it wasn’t really that visible to the crowd. The whole performance didn’t go well but hey, at least we still manage to grab the 2nd place.
Instrumental this year was so-so. I choose a classical Chinese piece. I was up against 3 other violinist and one guitarist (was surprise that so many violinist turn up that day). My performance like usual wasn’t really steady but there were lesser slips. I was worried that no one will appreciate the song that I choose. I did try my best and landed with 1st runner up again.
The participants for Western singing event this year was so much more than last year. There were almost 20 people competing in the solo category and more than 10 groups. Mind you, there were only 2 groups for last year’s competition.
Now for singing (solo), batch 3 sent out their Hunter Schreger band with lead singer Esther. I say they have the whole package (good musician + good vocals) but the sound system that day was terrible especially the amplifier for the keyboard. She did a medley on Rihanna’s California King and P! nk’s Perfect. It sounded really good during the rehearsals however due to the technical problem faced that day, she only manage to get 3rd place. Well, there is always next time, try your best; I know you can do it.
As for group singing, we sent the same people from last year’s competition with addition of Tian Yuan and Esther. Nigel led the group. Still sour at the lost from last year’s competition, we were very determined to claim back the title. In addition to that, we were more eager to win it for our group leader who is force to back out from singing. Due to the number of members were constrain to only 6 per team, Nigel can’t join us in sing and just became our accompanist. Poor him. Practices were always at Naurah’s. We were still struggling with the song choice during the first few practices. We jumped from Superman to Wonderwall to Rolling in the deep to Jason Mraz’s I’m yours. You see, we were very greedy and wanted to do everything that was on the list. At the end we settle with Superbass, Poker face, Tattoo and Where is the love. Only in the last few practices, Esther joined in the group and help out a lot in harmonising. I can say our song choice and style are quite colourful this year. Here’s how our performance was. We started off with a solo rap from Sonia. Yeah, she did the diva rap for Superbass and all of us did like funny pose to accompany her.
The audience was shock (in a good way) with that and the looks on their face were priceless. We all came in at the chorus and then it was followed by Naurah solo Poker face. Again, we joined in for the chorus and together we sang Tattoo. We did ask some help from our supporters to make the crowd clap for that song. Moving on, I solo Where is the love, accompanied by a series of harmonising “oww”. We ended in harmony with the chorus of Superbass. And the end result? Champion. I say, we really did enjoy the stage. I really miss the time where we take break in between our practice, jamming to different songs. Can we do that again?
Well despite what the results are, I’m sure all had fun throughout the competition. New bonds were made, some strengthen and others moved on to even greater relationships. This competition is definitely something that I will miss after leaving Manipal and the experience gain is something worth cherishing.
Ok, back to patho.



































No comments:
Post a Comment