When I don’t
feel like studying, nor even interested to sleep, it’s time to blog. (At least I
get something done right?) Shall slowly clear of my To-Blog list.
This
happened last October but I’m only writing about it now. I know, I been procrastinating
a lot.
A few of
us, say a quarter of the whole batch had the privilege to serve in the Hari
Kesihatan Pergigian Peringkat Negeri Melaka 2012 held at Dataran MBMB. Sounds prestigious?
I also thought so at first. It was organized by the Bahagian Kesihatan
Pergigian Negeri Melaka (Melaka state dental department) & KESERI. We were
divided into groups and each group was allocated a time slot to serve there. There
will be one or two lecturers that will be present together with the group. The
event was 3 days long, starting from 10am till 10pm.
Prof.
Noorliza and Dr. Renjit were with my group. Our job was to give out dental tips
on maintaining good oral hygiene among the public who attended the event. Sadly
to say, I was quite discouraged by the amount of people who turn up during my group’s
service time. I heard that there was a crowd from those who were there during
the night; was very envious to hear that. Oh well.
Our dental
nurse had prepared a plaque station. It was our gimmick to draw the kids to
come hear what we have to offer. We sure had a fun time trying the plaque
detector ourselves.
I did manage to convince a family into the booth. The kids
were quite interested especially when I asked them to demonstrate the brushing
technique on the giant dental model. Hope what I taught them will benefit them
in their dental home care.
There were also
some dental nurses that dropped by. My group mates had a wonderful time
chatting with them.
We were
quite embarrassed because we have put up dental posters from USM. Our college
hasn’t come up with our own set of posters yet; Malay language posters. Many
dentists who visited our booth questioned us about it, but all we could
helplessly reply was “We haven’t got our own yet, these were from our professor’s
past university.” I felt the way they asked us was a little sarcastic “Apa
pasal guna poster USM ni?! Kamu Melaka Manipal kan? Tak ada poster sendiri ke?!”
It was a bit like trying to pick on us. Sorry, but they really sounded a bit
high and mighty. Well, I see it that if the posters will benefit the public, then
why not use them. We will definitely present our posters up the next round.
Overall, it
was a good experience for us to expose ourselves to the public, the types of
questions and concern they have toward their oral cavity.
Sugar free
chewing gum anyone?






















No comments:
Post a Comment