Saturday, July 13, 2013

Busy as a Bee?

For the past one month, so much had happened. I’m physically drained, mentally exhausted, emotionally disturbed. And it’s not the final exam yet. OH MY GOODNESS!! SESSIONAL COMING!! And-I’m-so-not-ready-to –face-it

(My new self-proclaimed twin in class :p)


From mid-June, I started my 3 weeks of conservative dentistry posting. By God’s gracious blessing, I was seeing patient for almost everyday; sometimes there were even two patients in a day. (and I’m not boosting here, just showing how occupied I was) Most of the restorations were composite; did one or two GIC cases. I’m still trying to handle GIC well; maybe I will get a few extracted teeth to practice on.

Besides drilling cavities and building up the tooth, I completed my first denture case. It was just an upper denture where I need to replace 2 missing front tooth for the patient. Manage to do the whole denture under Dr.Dhana’s guide. The patient I got was very cooperative and it was easy to manage the appointments. I was very happy with the look during the try-in. The patient was also happy with the fit, complimenting it once I place it in the mouth. The shade selected was excellent, my arrangement for the central incisor was alright, but sir did a little adjustment for the lateral incisors. He customized the lateral incisor shape to follow the opposite site, taking the overall esthetic to a whole new level. With the guidance of Abang Zul, our dedicated lab assistant, I did the wax-up, invested the cast, dewaxed, packed and acrylized the denture. So many dramas occurred during the lab procedure but the steady Abang Zul was always like the superhero, making sure I still can proceed to the next stage. I was so nervous to crack open the thick layer of plaster and see the outcome. Thankfully the whole denture came out right. Learnt some tricks on polishing; didn’t know sandpaper was useful to trim the interdental regions. After everything is smooth, I call the patient for the delivery. Trimmed a few areas to get the denture fitting, repolished and gave the post-insertion guide. Kak Mel, our dear receptionist can’t even tell which teeth that were replaced. It was a good finish to the case.





And being the kepoh (which means busybody) that I am, I volunteered to help out the deco team for the Lagenda night. That event happened last week. The whole decoration took about 3 days to finish. Everyday, I felt like a zombie going to class in the morning. Although there were tones of things to read (especially for Oral patho quiz) and assignments to accomplished, I never regret my decision. The final outcome was quite satisfying. 



It was an utter big regret for me that we couldn’t manage to come up with a dance this time. I badly wanted to try out an Egyptian choreography (not belly dancing) that I found on YouTube. Oh well, shall reserve it for interbatch maybe? As a representative from BDS students, Naurah and I performed a duet on Taylor Swift and The Civil War’s song “Safe and Sound”. Our batch guitarist, Suleiman and Nigel played the wonderful background music of the song. I always wanted to experiment a duet with Nau, well, it was a good one but our nerves got the best of us. I don’t think this will be the last of us though, still more to come.







And oh, the end of last month too, our FOD lost some talented and dedicated staffs. I don’t feel it would be fair to club their departure write-up together with all the stories above. I will separately write a dedication post for them later. 


Now left one more week of clinics and I’m off to full study mode. End-posting exam for General Medicine is coming up this week as well, I better buck up. Bye for now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment