It’s sad to know that the next batch will be coming a week ahead of us. The best thing is, not a single Malaysian senior is back from the holidays. A WEEK!!! There goes our chance of being caring and hospitable seniors. By then they will all settle in; what’s the use of seniors then. It’s normally a tradition in MMMC where the seniors will show the newcomers around; make them feel at home, help them to settle down. Just so you know, ragging in Manipal University is a HUGE offense and this is taken VERY seriously.
No worries, I shall introduce the shops to get your stuffs. Hopefully this will serve a lil’ use.
*Re-edit: I wrote this long time ago, it's a to-bring list. http://crybabylair.blogspot.com/2011/06/do-bring-or-not-to-bring.html *
ON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS
FOR GIRLS
Aka (pronounce AA-KAR) Shop No.2
This shop is located next to Sonia Hostel. There are 2 shops, but Malaysian student usually go to Shop No. 2. Remember, its No.2 not 1. (Shop 1 staffs look kinda grumpy and scary; you can testify that once you come here.) The shop is operated by warm and friendly aunties. They really made me feel at home since the first day I was here. The aunties will help you get the basic room items you need e.g.: pillow, doormat, cup, umbrella, cloth hangers, broom, pails, garbage bags, rubbish bin, laundry bags, dish wash detergent, soap powder, shampoo etc. I can testify that the prices are reasonable and normally there will be discount given. We have told them to take care of you in our absence, so just go to them.
Besides selling those household items, they are also famous for their sandwiches and drinks. Some of Malaysian’s favorites are like Bombay toast, Nutella sandwich, Mayo Egg sandwich and Sambal Tuna sandwich. I personally like their Sambal Tuna Egg sandwich. Drinks ranges from cold coffee to soya bean to juices. Some of us even have our breakfast, bunch, lunch and dinner there. (especially nearing exams) Also, you can get chocolate, junk food, bread, biscuits and instant noodles from there. So, remember to pay a visit okay?
FOR BOYS
New Jeevan Shop (Con Man Shop)
It’s not the actual name of the shop, just that Malaysian call it that. Don’t get frighten away by the name. The shop is located diagonally in front of the Tiger Circle fountain.
This is normally where the boys get their household items. The shop sells everything same like the Aka Shop except there is no food or drinks. The boss is quite friendly and do sometimes gives discount.
ON LAB EQUIMENTS & INSTRUMENTS
Bombay Surgicals
It’s the only shop where you can purchase your instruments. Located a lil’ right to the Con Man Shop. Here is where you order for the name tags and get the readymade lab coats. (If you want to custom make one, there’s a tailor place called Patil, but it will take 2-3 weeks.) Your name tags should have your name, BDS, MMMC. Example:
As a dental student, you will frequently visit this place.
ON ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES
Ambika
It’s quite near Bombay Surgicals. Just try to ask around for directions. You can get your electric stabilizer, adaptor and table lamp here. I don’t recommend buying the electric kettle from this place; I think Big Bazar in Udupi offer some better choice. The boss is quite snappy especially if you try to ask for discount.
ON STATIONARIES & PHOTOCOPYING
Xerox
It’s located behind the bus station, next to Airtel mobile service center. The boss is quite friendly and often gives discounts. I bought my note books and pens here. Upon purchase, the boss normally will slip in 2-3 pens in your plastic bag, FOC; probably for you to test out the brand.
ON BOOKS
Manipal Book Land
This is near the fruit juice shop called Iceland. It’s opposite the restaurant called Dollops. Just ask around and you will get there. This place offer the most discount for books. The shop looks quite old though. They don’t offer book wrapping service.
Higginbothams (formerly known as BI Publications)
This place is near KMC green. It’s quite hidden from sight. The interior of this bookshop resemble a little bit of MPH.
And oh, it’s the only place that sells the practical journals. It’s kinda like the official bookstore of the university.
Manipal Bookcentre
It’s located opposite the ICICI bank main office. Next to it is a stationary shop. This place offer book wrapping service. It’s FOC if the book is purchased from them, Rs 10 charged for each book. It’s rather far though.
Well, I think that’s about it. Will add on other shops if they come to mind.





Hello there,
ReplyDeleteThis is very helpful. Thank you very much! :)
Hello Lily. You coming to Manipal ke?
ReplyDeleteYes, I'll be leaving on the 9th. I'll be your junior, just not the same course :)
ReplyDeleteOh, MBBS ke?
ReplyDeleteYupp. Are you back home?
ReplyDeleteHi! Your info is very helpful =)
ReplyDeleteMay i ask you smth? How do we get dringking water there? Did they provide any RO water there?
Hello Yan Xin. Thank you *blush* Ops, I forgot about the water, will write a post on it. erm, there are two ways to get drinking water. One is to call and order a dispenser plus 20 litres water. I will put the phone no. in the new post, you check there k~ Another way is to get it from the dispenser in your hostel. Somehow I don't trust the hostel one, so I order the water.
ReplyDeleteOkok. Thank you so much! =D
ReplyDelete